Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Making a Book Step 4

Our ladybug journal consists of eight sections, or folios, of stacked folded paper. These decorative end covers make the book stronger when it's sewn, and also look pretty when the book is put together.
Now that I have designed the covers and the pages of the book, it's time to punch the holes for sewing. First I measure and mark the sewing stations on both covers and each of the folios (ARGH. Measuring again!), then I use a medium-bore punch for the covers, and a specially designed cradle and a paper awl for the folios.
Making a book is a lot like writing a book: there's an awful lot of planning and prep work to be done before you get to the "good part", but if you skimp on these steps, the whole thing falls apart at the end.

Next step: sewing!

For details on the drawing for this journal that's coming on Nov. 1, see this post.

3 comments:

Pat in east TN October 21, 2009 at 3:30 AM  

Very, very interesting. So much more involved then I ever imagined.

I finished At Home at Ladybug Farm the other day, and, again, I was just blown away. I adore these ladies, they seem like good friends to me, and I will miss them til the next book comes out.

LTK October 21, 2009 at 10:05 AM  

Fun to watch! Will you be having a book signing in a NE Georgia mountain city -- or Atlanta? I think I just missed you earlier this year.

~Lynne

LTK October 22, 2009 at 11:44 AM  

Wondering if you're enjoying fall colors on your mountain?!

  © 2008 'Ladybird' by ourblogtemplates.com

Back to TOP