Monday, October 5, 2009

Ladybug, Ladybug

To celebrate the release of AT HOME ON LADYBUG FARM(which hits the shelves tomorrow, October 6), I'm giving away a one-of-a-kind, hand-crafted, ladybug-themed journal like the one pictured at right. You'll be able to watch the book come together over the next several weeks on this blog, and it will be signed by the artist... me!

Book crafting is an ancient art that is just beginning to come back into vogue among artists and hobbyists. It can produce anything from the truly exquisite, museum-quality leather-bound volumes, to playful journals like the one pictured here. This example uses book board and artist papers, and has a whimsical cut-out in the cover that serves no useful purpose whatsoever except to make me smile.
I use this one for making notes on Love Letters from Ladybug Farm, book three in the Ladybug Farm series, which will be out this time next year.

Your hand-made book will use book board, coptic stitching, stationary and artist-quality papers, and lots of whimsy. You can follow the progress of this book over the next several weeks on this blog. Maybe you'd even like to give me an idea or two!

Everyone who posts a comment on this blog between October 6 and October 31 will be entered in a drawing for the journal, which will be held on November first (it should go without saying that any offensive or inappropriate posts will be deleted from both the blog and the contest, because everyone who reads this blog is a nice person, right?) . If you're not familiar with the process, it's fairly simple to leave a comment on this blog: just click on "comments" at the end of this or any other post , write your comment, and then scroll down to "choose an identity". Click on "name" and enter your first name or a screen name so that I will know who to enter in the contest. Every time you post a comment you will be entered for the drawing, so post as often as you like.

And of course, I can't wait to hear what you think of the ladies' latest adventures in At Home on Ladybug Farm!

8 comments:

Pat in east TN October 5, 2009 at 7:13 PM  

I am on Amazon's pre-order list and am hoping my copy of AT HOME ON LADYBUG FARM arrives quickly.

The journal is the neatest thing ... oh so cute too!

RenĂ© October 5, 2009 at 7:42 PM  

Hey, congratulations on the book coming out tomorrow! I'm really looking forward to it! The first book really helped propel me toward my dream of having a little self-sustaining farm some day. The little journal is so cute. It's amazing what you can still do by hand. I like to remind myself, that at some point in history, everything was done by hand.

Jennifer Dunne October 6, 2009 at 9:49 AM  

Cool! I've loved the idea of hand-made books ever since an episode of Zoom! (mid-70's PBS kid's magazine show) featured a kid who used the antique printing press in his parent's attic to print his own books.

And I've already ordered a copy of Year -- it looks like a perfect book for my mom's birthday. If she enjoys it, I know what she's getting for Christmas. :-)

Anonymous October 6, 2009 at 2:23 PM  

I am so glad that you have written about book about Lady Bug Farm. from Donna Darling

Barb S October 8, 2009 at 3:14 PM  

My book from Amazon.com arrived yesterday; I'm so glad that I pre-ordered it. And I'm also glad you continue to describe Rebel (the sheepdog) as "lying under the porch and dreaming up of the ways to make the lives of the human inhabitants miserable" and not romanticizing life with a border collie.
I'm looking forward to reading the rest of your wonderful book.
Your journal is really cute! I'd love one.
Barb Scott
Grand Rapids, MI

Melissa October 14, 2009 at 12:15 PM  

I'm the library director in a small Missouri town & wanted to let you know that our patrons love A Year On Ladybug Farm. We are getting the series in large print & will receive At Home next month. Also, will there be more entries in the Raine Stockton series?

Donna Ball October 14, 2009 at 12:29 PM  

Melissa, the Ladybug Farm books are keeping me pretty busy but I am actually thinking about the next book in the Raine Stockton series now. So many people have asked me to continue it! I have to finish writing the third Ladybug Farm book first, though...

Barb S October 14, 2009 at 12:40 PM  

I love all your books! I only wish I could read them slower so they'd last longer!

  © 2008 'Ladybird' by ourblogtemplates.com

Back to TOP