Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Making a Book, Step 1

You all are so kind with your compliments on my ladybug journal. Believe me, these little books are far from professionally done (my teacher is known for saying to the class, "You could do it the right way, or you could do it Donna's way":-)), but they are so much fun to make. My favorite part is choosing the color palette. I will use several coordinating papers to form different parts of the book-- the front and back covers, the end papers and/or inside cover, and the folio covers. The trim and embellishments, ribbons and closures, are like jewelry for the book and should complement the total look. I really like this subtle dusky rose palette, which reminds me of something Bridget might have on her night table. The ladybugs are a very tiny, tone-on-tone part of the pattern.
But the red is really fun, too, and seems a lot more "ladybug"-y. What do you think?

Remember, all you have to do to enter the drawing for the finished journal is post a comment on this blog, or a review of At Home on Ladybug Farm on Amazon. com (be sure to let me know you've done it so I can enter your name in the drawing!) Every time you post a comment, either here or on A Writer Reads, your name will be entered. The winner will be announced on this blog November 1 so stay tuned!

4 comments:

Pat in east TN October 8, 2009 at 3:19 AM  

This is really interesting, watching the ladybug journal come together. I would have a hard time choosing what colors, but the red is fun and makes the ladybug 'pop'!

mjtanner October 8, 2009 at 9:32 AM  

I finished "At Home on Ladybug Farm" last night and I loved it. Please tell me there will be more books in this series!

Donna Ball October 8, 2009 at 10:17 AM  

I'm SO glad you liked "At Home on Ladybug Farm"! This book had quite a bit more plot to it than the first one, so I was a little nervous about it. And yes, there will be at least one more book about the Ladybugs. I'm starting work on "Love Letters from Ladybug Farm" next week, and it should be out about this time next year.

barbara rechtfertig October 14, 2009 at 6:23 PM  

When is the next Raine Stockton book being published?
You are an amazing, prolific writer!
Barb in CA
bjjiminy@aol.com

  © 2008 'Ladybird' by ourblogtemplates.com

Back to TOP