Friday, October 9, 2009

Making a Book, Step 2

I think I'm going to start with the red color scheme for the ladybug journal. I've decided I want it to be 6x9 inches, which is a good size for journaling, so the first thing I have to do is cut the covers from book board (sometimes called chip board) or mat board. I have used plain old cardboard in the past, but it isn't as sturdy (though a lot easier to cut!). I had to cut these twice, because the first time they were 1/4 of an inch off. Arrgh. I hate measuring.
Once the covers are cut, I covered them with the papers I've chosen, and added a light coat of craft polyurethane, just to protect the covers from damage while I'm working on them (and beyond). The front and back covers of home-made books are often different patterns, which is one thing that makes them unique. Once the polyurethane is dry, I'll press the covers beneath something heavy over night. A book press would be great, but my giant, 2-volume Oxford dictionary works just as well.

The ladybug won't actually be attached until the last step, but I wanted to see how it would look!

3 comments:

Pat in east TN October 9, 2009 at 4:43 PM  

The journal is going to be really nice ... I love the red with the big ladybug in the middle! My copy of AT HOME ON LADYBUG FARM arrived today ... woo hoo!!!

LeAnn October 10, 2009 at 10:54 AM  

I blew through At Home on Ladybug Farm and didn't want it to end. I thoroughly enjoyed both books. How about number three? I would love to read about the business progress on the farm!

Donna Ball October 10, 2009 at 11:18 AM  

LeAnn, I'm so glad you enjoyed AT HOME ON LADYBUG FARM. Book Three, LOVE LETTERS FROM LADYBUG FARM will be out this time next year, and we'll get to see how the ladies' grand plans for making the farm pay for itself are working out. But-- as usual-- don't expect things to go exactly as they've planned!

  © 2008 'Ladybird' by ourblogtemplates.com

Back to TOP